Thursday Lunchtime Concerts
The monthly Thursday lunchtime concert series will restart on 15 April 2021.
We are very much hoping to welcome audiences back in person. However, if that is not possible, lunchtime concerts will be filmed behind closed doors at Howden Minster and released on the Howdenshire Music Project YouTube and Facebook pages.
Between January-March 2021, you can also enjoy a series of Interludes showcasing our musicians performing short works for violin, oboe, piano and much more. These Interludes are being released on the Howdenshire Music Project Facebook & YouTube pages. You can also subscribe to our mailing list to receive updates and links to each new online performance.
You can also catch up with all our 2020 online lunchtime concerts via the Watch section of this website.
This free lunchtime concert series is organised by the Howdenshire Music Project, a charitable organisation which works closely with Howden Minster. The project is delighted to announce that, due to the amazing success of the recent Piano Appeal, the future of the series is now assured and all upcoming lunchtime concerts will be performed on a superb new FEURICH 218 Concert I grand piano. Thank you to all our supporters!
2021 Lunchtime Concerts
- Thu, May 20Howden MinsterYork-born soprano Bethan Terry and pianist Francesca Lauri recently won the Lillian Ash French Song Competition, adjudicated by Roger Vignoles. This colourful and varied recital will include works by Warlock, Debussy, Britten, Dring and Puccini.
- Thu, Jun 17Howden MinsterHungarian violinist Boglarka Gyorgy is a graduate of the Liszt Academy of Music in Budapest and the Royal Birmingham Conservatoire. Her programme will include Vaughan Williams' The Lark Ascending and one of the most treasured works in the violin repertoire, the Sonata in A Major by César Franck.
- Thu, Jul 15Howden MinsterAndy Mellor studied at the Guildhall School of Music & Drama and Royal Northern College of Music and has performed at the BBC Proms. Together with award-winning pianist Sean Greenheld, Andy will perform one of Brahms's late masterpieces, the Clarinet Sonata No. 2, and works by Rachmaninov and Ravel.
- Thu, Sep 16Howden MinsterAcclaimed piano duo Amy Butler and Peter Sproston present a selection of works originally composed for piano duet. Their programme will include one of Schubert's most iconic works for the piano, the Fantasie in F minor, as well as Ravel's charming Mother Goose suite.
- Thu, Oct 21Howden MinsterHana Drábková is a former principal oboist of the South Bohemian Chamber Orchestra and professor of oboe at Brno Conservatoire. She is joined by award-winning pianist Graziana Presicce to perform Poulenc's Oboe Sonata, Malcolm Arnold's Sonatina and works by Debussy and Schumann.
- Thu, Nov 18Howden MinsterNatalia is a graduate of the Royal Academy of Music, where she won every piano competition she entered. She performs throughout the UK and internationally to great acclaim. Natalia's programme will include Debussy's Images and a selection of waltzes by Chopin and Klavierstücke by Brahms.
Howdenshire Music Project and Howden Minster are very grateful to the following businesses, without whose generous sponsorship the community lunchtime concert series would not be able to take place.